There are a number of common questions we’re asked by patients looking into respiratory physiotherapy treatment – for example, what to expect from virtual or face to face appointments or how often their appointments will need to take place.
How many appointments will I need?
- This entirely depends on a number of factors including the severity of your symptoms and how much you adhere to your treatment.
- Your physiotherapist will be able to give you a clearer idea of how many appointments you might need following your first assessment, and they will be able to continually feedback during each of your sessions regarding your progress.
How frequently will my appointments be?
Again, this entirely depends on your progress and will be decided by your physiotherapist.
After your first appointment, it’s likely that your physiotherapist will want to review you within 1-2 weeks to check your progress.
As your respiratory physiotherapy treatment progresses, your sessions may become more spaced out as your condition improves, or if you have a long-term condition your physiotherapist might think you need to be seen on a regular basis.
For home visit appointments, these are decided on a case by case basis after your initial assessment. They are usually weekly but could be more or less frequent, depending on the treatment we are providing and what condition you are being treated for.
I’m sceptical about how you can help me virtually over video – wouldn’t face to face be best?
Please don’t be sceptical – our goal is to always provide the very best treatment possible, and that includes our virtual sessions.
- Our physios have been carrying out virtual sessions since the first lockdown in March 2020. Since then, we have been developing thorough assessment and treatment strategies to ensure all our patients are assessed as accurately as possible.
- We have several methods in place to ensure we can gather all the information we need to assess you.
- Owing to the covid pandemic, some patients haven’t felt safe to leave home. In this situation, our virtual appointments offer the perfect solution as you can benefit from our help from the comfort and security of your own home.
- Patients have been telling us that video call is more favourable as it avoids the need to travel in to London to one of our clinics.
- Video calls offer much greater flexibility and availability than our face to face clinics. We are therefore able to offer more appointment slots and sooner appointments than if you were to come and see us in clinic.
How does a virtual assessment work?
During the first assessment, your physiotherapist will want to spend time talking to you to gain a full medical history – this usually takes up the first half of the appointment and can always be done virtually.
Your therapist will not need to touch you – they can gain all the information they need over video call.
In terms of assessment – this may involve you lying down or sitting comfortably. Please just make sure you are able to position your camera sufficiently so the physiotherapist can see you properly. Your physiotherapist will provide guidance throughout, and rest assured, this can all be performed adequately over video.
After your first assessment, you might be sent some material to complete or videos to watch before your next appointment.
Will I need any equipment?
Sometimes your physiotherapist may ask you to lie down and position your camera so they can see you optimally, or they may get you to send videos to them ahead of your next appointment to better inform their assessment.
They might ask you to complete online questionnaires.
Depending on your condition, they may request that you purchase additional equipment to help them monitor your symptoms, although this is not the case for everyone and will depend on your symptoms.
And what if anything changes?
If at any point your physiotherapist feels it would be helpful to see you face to face, this can be discussed and scheduled with you, if deemed appropriate. You can bring this up anytime during your treatment.
I’m still not exactly sure what I need – what should I do?
Don’t worry – we’re here to help! We can answer any of your queries and point you in the right direction to ensure you access the treatment that will work best for you. Just give us a call on 0207 971 1464 or email email@example.com.